Crime Victim Services

Initial Notice to Crime Victims

Rights and Services for All Crime Victims

Burnsville Crime Victim Information (PDF)

  • The right, if an offender is charged, to be informed of and participate in the prosecution process, including the right to request restitution (money court ordered from the offender and paid to the victim).
  •  The right to be notified of plea negotiations. 
  • The right to be present at plea hearings and sentencing and to object orally or in writing to a proposed plea agreement or sentence. 
  • The right to be notified of the final disposition of the case and any appeals. 
  • The right to request law enforcement to keep your identity confidential from the public. Your identity may not be released by law enforcement if you are a victim of sexual assault or sex trafficking. 

Call the victim service providers listed for information about other crime victim rights and services that may be available to you. 

Call the MN Crime Victims Justice Unit at 651-201-7310, if you feel your victim’s rights have been violated. 

Rights of Domestic Abuse Victims

  1. You can ask the City or County Attorney to file a criminal complaint.
  2. You have the right to go to court and file a petition requesting an Order for Protection from domestic abuse. The order could include the following:

    a. an order restraining the abuser from further acts of abuse
    b. an order directing the abuser to leave your household
    c. an order preventing the abuser from entering your home (or a reasonable area around your home), school, business or place of employment
    d. an order awarding you or the other parent custody of/or visitation of your minor child or children
    e. an order directing the abuser to pay support to you and the minor if the abuser has a court order to do so

  3. You also have the right to notification if prosecution of the case is declined or criminal charges are dismissed.

For assistance with Orders for Protection/Restraining Orders, contact one of the following Dakota County Courts:

  • Apple Valley: 952-891-7236
  • Hastings: 651-438-8110
  • West St. Paul: 651-554-6200

Rights of Sexual Assault Victims

  1. Sexual assault victims will not incur out-of-pocket expenses for forensic medical exams, and information about evidence collection, storage, and preservation in sexual assault cases.
  2. Sexual assault victim services are available by calling Lewis House 24-hours-per day at 651-405-1500.
  3. Resource Information can be found at the Minnesota Office of Justice Programs

Identity Theft

Used by victims of identity theft to learn how to protect themselves and report the issue to police. Identity Theft Packet and Reporting Form (PDF)


Assistance for Victims of Domestic Abuse

ServicePhone Number
360 Communities – Eagan651-452-7288
360 Communities – Hastings651-437-1291
Day One Minnesota Crisis Line1-866-223-1111
Tubman Family Alliance612-825-3333
Eagle's Nest (Native American Shelter)651-251-1608
CUHCC (Asian Battered Women's Program)612-638-0674
Esperanza United (refugio) – liñea de crisis 24 horas español en ingles651-772-1611
Voice of East African Women (VEAW) (serving East African and Muslim)651-200-4193

Victim Service Providers – 24-Hour Phone Lines

ServicePhone Number
360 Communities Domestic Abuse Shelter – Eagan651-452-7288
360 Communities Domestic Abuse Shelter – Hastings651-437-1291
Sexual Assault Services – Dakota County651-405-1500
Dakota County Crisis Response Unit (mental health crisis)952-891-7171
Minnesota Council on Crime and Justice Victim Hotline612-340-5400
2-1-1 Minnesota (information and referrals)211 or 651-224-1133
Crisis Connection (counseling and support)612-379-6363
Men's Line (counseling and support)612-379-6367
VINE (automated custody status/release notification)1-877-664-8463
Asian Women United of Minnesota (domestic shelter and services)612-724-8823
Cornerstone (interpreters available) 952-884-0330
Crime Victim Support Hotline866-385-2699
Crime Victim Support Text Line 612-399-9977

Victim Service Providers – Not 24-Hour Phone Lines

ServicePhone Number
Dakota County Attorney's Victim/Witness Program651-438-4438
Dakota County MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving)651-523-0802
Parents of Murdered Children651-403-9780
Vietnamese Minnesotans Association (and other SE Asians)651-290-4791
Minnesotans for Safe Driving952-221-7393
Thrive Family Support for Substance Abuse844-349-2911
Communication Service for the Deaf Voice/VP651-964-2051
Crime Victims Reparations Board651-201-7300 / 1-888-622-8799
Crime Victims Reparations Board TTY1-651-205-4827
ThinkSelf (for deaf/hard of hearing)651-403-9780

 Victims may apply for financial compensation from the Crime Victim Reparations Board for certain costs incurred as a result of a violent crime, such as: medical care, counseling costs, lost wages, child care, crime scene clean up and funeral expenses – NOT property damage or loss. Claims must be filed within three years of the crime date, except cases involving child abuse. Some exceptions apply.

Other Important Phone Numbers

ServicePhone Number
Dakota County Court (for protection orders) – Apple Valley952-891-7236
Dakota County Court (for protection orders) – Hastings651-438-8110
Dakota County Court (for protection orders) – West St. Paul651-554-6206
360 Communities (food, emergency assistance, family support)952-985-5300
Children's Safety Centers (supervised visitation or exchange)651-774-4990
Dakota County Jail651-438-4800
Dakota County Social Services952-891-7459 / TDD: 612-891-7202
Dakota County Social Services (to report child abuse)952-891-7459
Dakota County Social Services Adult Intake Line651-554-6424
Dakota County Housing Crisis Line651-554-5751
Dakota County Economic Assistance651-554-5611
Dakota County Veteran Services 651-554-5601

Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003

(Espanol? La Ley contra la violación en las cárceles de 2003 (PDF))

The Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) is a federal law established to address the elimination and prevention of sexual misconduct in detention facilities. The Burnsville Police Department is committed to providing detainees housed in its facility a safe environment. 

The Burnsville Police Department has a zero tolerance policy for all forms of sexual misconduct. Anyone with information regarding a detainee who has experienced any form of sexual misconduct while in the custody of the Burnsville Police Department should contact: 

Burnsville Police PREA Coordinator/Division Commander
100 Civic Center Parkway
 Burnsville, MN 55337
 Phone: 952-895-4600 

Or contact the nearest law enforcement agency to make a report. 

When reporting, please include the date, time and place of the alleged incident; victim-suspect-witness information; and details of what happened. Also include your name and contact information; anonymous or third-party reporting will be accepted. 

To date, there have been no reports of staff sexual misconduct or harassment toward any detainee in the Burnsville Police Department temporary holding facility.